Friday 24 August 2007

240807 Guilty as Charged!!

Been quite a fuss about the arrest of a chap who ‘piggy-backed’ onto an unsecured wireless lan connection i.e. got free wireless internet with his laptop in the street by using someone's wireless network that hadn't been properly secured. Now, I can think of at least two occasions where I’ve done exactly this (once sat on a bench on Paseo Del Mar, Palma Nova for example!!)

Question is why don’t I feel like a wrong-doer??



Well, have a look at this link below on the BBC website. I think it’s nicely summed up in the following phrase “It is a bit like reading your book from the light coming out from someone's window” - Julian Baggini

At the same time, I’m not at all sure whether I’m right to feel that way – my own wireless network isn’t locked down but the computers are if you know what I mean. I don’t think I’d make a big deal of someone occasionally borrowing a bit of my bandwidth? But at the same time there’s a monthly fee being paid and someone sat piggy-backing off it would be benefiting at no cost at all? Blimey, it’s a moral dilemma what!!

Link to article on BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6960304.stm

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam