Saturday 3 May 2008

Bank Holiday Weekend

Disastrous golf - shot 93 - 46 out, 47 in, seven shots worse than handicap. Mainly because of bad putting. Drove well off the tee for the most part. Made a bit of a cockup with the 60 degree wedge on the fourth hole, hit ball clean over the green into the edge of a hedge (wedge to edge of hedge - not alliteration, not poetry but sounds clever) . Recovered well hitting a five iron like a big putt to about 8 foot then holing it for a bogey. Where the 60 degrees realy worked well was out of bunkers - on the long par three 16th I hit into the right hand bunker and then hit the wedge to about three foot and made the putt to make par - very good. However, that's all very well but playing to 22 when you're supposed to be a fifteen handicapper is a bit cak. Must try harder next week! Three pars in eighteen holes is not good enough, especially as they didn't start until the fourteenth hole!

Had a run of three pars on 14,15 and 16. Here's an example, though, of what was typical before and after that little spell of good scoring - on the par five 17th I hit a decent drive, longest out of the three of us right between the bunkers, middle of fairway. Then hit a cracking three wood, nicely struck right where I sent it, stayed straight as a dye. That left me with about a hundred yards to the pin, maybe a bit more. Hit a towering 9-iron that was all over the pin from where I was stood but when I got to the green was maybe 25, 30 feet past the pin. So on a par-five in regulation on the back of three pars looked like another one in the bag? Not to be, raced the first one ten foot past the hole, left the next one two inches short and tapped in for a bogey. And that was pretty much what I did hole and hole leading up to it.

Went out on super fast bike again this morning, only 7.6 miles but good fun, am getting confidence back slowly and it's nice to do a few miles without a puncture, that's for sure. Tried to ride hard enough to get the chest pain, couldn't quite do it but I think it was thinking about it at about 6 miles, 20 odd minutes in. Not sure, am going to research angina I think just in case.

Got golf at 12:30, am taking a 60degree cleveland 588 wedge with me that I just got off Ebay, should be fun, will see.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you eat/drink anything before you exercise and if so how long before you exercise? I have on occasion had a tightening sensation in my chest whilst running, it's lasted maybe a minute or so, i get a little breathless also but I slow up a little (not walking) and it seems to pass fairly quickly. Not had it for some time, but I don't remember getting it on the early morning runs, more early evening. I'd put it down to food? I've not had it whilst cycling, and my heart rate is generally about the same when running or cycling, (for the most part average is 140, and I take it upto maybe 175/180 on the hills.)

Paul said...

I always a have a black coffee and a banana. I used to go out on nothing at all but started having a banana when I was taking cod liver oil to make it more liveable when it repeats on you. Am on Glucosamine Sulphate tablets now for the joints so I could leave the banana out I guess. Will give that a go. Thanks for your comment am getting back into cycling again after a bit of a bad fall back in January. I like the challenge of running too though, that's the problem and the chest pain is ruining my times!!!
All the best.
PAul

Anonymous said...

I have a glass of orange and a banana first thing. Depending on the ride/run distance I sometimes have some oats and milk. I wouldn't drop the banana it's a good carb and might aid stamina with the longer stuff, maybe it's the caffeine causing the chest pain? I find if i run every day i get bored, I'm currently running and cycling each day for 8 days then taking a day off, either way i'm aiming for 100 miles running and 400 cycling each month for the next couple of months.

Paul said...

They're good targets, similiar to what I was aiming for not long ago, must admit since the accident I've been less rigid on them. I try and run 5 to 6 miles every weekday and a bit further for one day at the weekend. A bit of golf and now cycling being ramped up to keep a mix. In winter I used to aim to do gym two to three times a week but with summer coming I've missed going at all some weeks!

Not sure I can drop coffee, I drink gallons of it - it's calorie free - I've given up the booze, fags and now Derby County season ticket, will be a struggle to let go of coffee too. Will try missing it before morning run though, that's a compromise I could live with. Thanks for your comments.
Paul

Anonymous said...

I reckon we must pass you running the other way! If you see two 60 somethings looking as if they are on their last legs running (staggering) in the opposite direction - that's us running to Muggington.

Paul said...

Hi Sheffy,
I wish it was me running but I was on my FCR1 bike not on foot. Biggest run have done so far is 13 miles but have been getting chest pains of late. Have had tests at doctors and they think it's not angina so have been moving back towards cycling a bit which I don't get the pain with. Will look out for you next time I'm round that way - beautiful area round there isn't it?(you could say that of most of Derbyshire, I suppose).
Thanks for the comment
Paul

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam