Monday 3 September 2007

Woohoo New Stats - only golf related!

EasyGPS – the answer to my problems!!

Have found that manipulating gpx (mapping xml data) is a total pain in the butt. That was before I found EasyGPS. If you’re someone who like me likes to get stuck into the nitty gritty of a bit of software this is the answer you’re after for fiddling with the GPX data to get routes and information out of GPX data.


Image from EasyGPS distance from active point indicates driving distance of 224 yards+ on first hole. Satelite photography underneath it next!

With EasyGPS I found out that on average I’m hitting the driver 206.7 yards and my maximum on Saturday was 235 yards on the eighth (probably wind-assisted but do I care?!?!, not on your nelly). I took three drives out of the average calculation - one stopped in a hole, one hit a tree and came back, and the one on the tenth I just flat smothered it 70 yards along the ground.

Interestingly (for me) I hit the 5 wood off the third tee near 180 yards (177.05yds) and 170 yards off the twelfth into the wind so that’s an interesting option at around 175 yards on average and damned straight with it.

Now that I know my driver distance fairly accurately (allowing for a bit of error in the old GPS), I can see it’s puny for a fifteen handicapper. I ought to be averaging 230/240 not under 210 but now that I know and importantly have the facility to measure it properly I can set myself a goal of getting it to 220 average by next start of next season. Now I need to look at what I can change to make this happen – easiest thing would be to change to a distance ball. I might do that on Saturday just to see if there is an immediate improvement when you hit a rock. Problem with that is that when you hit a rock you lose all sense of feel, which I kind of like for my short game which is improving a bit after a rubbishy start to season.




Paul driving off at Golf Park Puntiro, Mallorca in 2006 - a little bit heavier then!!

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam