Saturday 1 September 2007

Weekend Plans - geeky GPS and a return to Rock!

Done 13 miles on the bike early doors, went up some killer hills round Calwich, Ellastone and Snelston , have 130 miles on the clock already which is likely to be the final figure.

As mentioned yesterday all my cycling since return from Mallorca and the introduction of the Edge 205 can be accessed at this link http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/user/pdsidd.

Didn't want to do too much as am playing 18 holes of golf for the first time in a month this afternoon. I thought I'd better go and have a quick practice yesterday evening and I thought it was also an excellent opportunity to do an experiment with the Garmin Edge 205 (see below)!



What I did was add waypoints on the Edge from the 10th tee (top left of image above) , then from where the ball stopped after my drive (just to the right of the bunker middle, bottom) then from where it stopped after a too short approach, a chip and two putts for a bogey five). It worked sort of okay, looks like I teed off from the path but that's the amount of error you get with GPS - it's not ultra-precise but I'd say the second shot just past the bunker is not far out at all. Good fun and the reason I'm doing it is that I've always wanted to know how far I drive the ball and when I know that I can set some goals for improvement in terms of distance which I'll now be able to measure- cool eh!

Today I'm going to get it to record the whole round as a route, marking waypoints at each shot. The only worry is if I shoot over a 100 - the Garmin will only store 99 waypoints apparently!!!

Tonight is Jonny B's 40th party at Rocester so am going to be bashing them drums for a song or too which will be fun as have done zero practice. Did it for 20 years how much can I possibly have forgotten??

Didn't do the pub last night and not drinking tonight so all should be well on the food optimising front.

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam