Monday 10 September 2007

Daily Post / Plan for the Week / New Eye Candy!!!

The Daily Post
It was blooming raining this morning! Not impressed with that, still got a solid 10 miles in, was a bit jiggered last night so fell a bit short of the mark but I did a little three miler to test the new pedals out at 15.3mph average earlier in the day so that was okay. At present the average mph over just over 20 miles is standing at 14 mph. If I could maintain that somehow this week that would be an achievement!

Plan for the week

1). Going to ride home from work on Wednesday and back to work on Thursday morning – it will be the last time for this year –and it’s based on having decent weather (which has been forecast – it was wet and colder this morning). This means I get 40+ miles done in two trips.

2). Am aiming to get 150 miles on the clock this week, not managed it before and have made this a bit tricky because yesterday was rubbish with just 13 miles done – legs were sort of tired and it was windy (not much of an excuse but there you go). Have worked out a plan of sorts in Excel (See below)

3). Am going to do an exact food dairy this week – am going to look at everything and see if there’s a syn value as am sure there’s something am missing.

4). Finally, I'm doing an experiment as well which I’m going to keep secret until next weigh-in – if it fails you may never hear about it, but let me tell you, if it works it’ll be great!! See if spill the beans on Thursday ...



Above: miles for morning and evening runs for this week - hoping for 150 miles in the week which will be a new record and I'll be jolly pleased with!!!



Top Eye Candy:
This is what I'm aiming for for Xmas - is a bit of a dear 'un at £300 but I'm going to combine it with me 40th Birthday and have it and nowt else.



T'is a Giant SC3 road bike complete with Aluminium frame and top components - should add some serious speed. Have noticed on the Stealth MTB I currently ride that I'm only using the biggest cog on the chain-set so reckon I'm ready for something with a bit of umph!!

Links: http://www.giant-bicycle.com/en-GB/bikes/road/1399/29641/

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SCR3? 07 colour looks better. I'm looking for a cheap winter trainer, used a decathlon 7.1 all last winter with raceguards, nothing wrong with it yet, just want another spare. I like the SCR3 because it has slightly wider tyres. But i can't find one at the price you show in the blog.

Paul said...

It would have been online somewhere - will have a look tonight and see if I can find it again. Have been scouring Ebay for a cheap second hand one as have been spending a lot of time doing the Derbyshire trails of late.
Thanks for the comment

Anonymous said...

Wonder if it's the OCR3 you'd seen, it's got sora shifters, part sora & shimano 2200 groupset but only a double with 7 speed. They are often anywhere between £200&£250. Although i've seen the new 08 SCR 4.0 for £299 this morning and thats 16 speed. You pay the extra money when you get drop bars because of the shifters, often you can get a flat barred bike with good gears about £100 cheaper than the equivalent drop barred bike. Specialized do the sirrus and i think giant do the FCR. Decathlon have got an Aluminium frame with rear carbon stays and carbon fork with a campagnolo groupset for less than £500. I received reasonable service on my 7.1 (i upgraded the chainset to a tiagra compact and fitted a carbon fork) and it had 2yrs on the components and 5 yrs warranty on the frame. It also received favourable reports from cycling plus beating bikes at twice the price. Sorry for the long comment, i read about your blog on frank kinlans site. (no offence intended), I can't believe you've managed the sort of miles each week on the types of bikes you have. Good luck. Consolations on your season so far, as a season ticket holder at man city i was riding high until 5pm yesterday, but then i've had 35 years of practice!

Paul said...

Just back from the Derby v Everton match and we just keep getting worse!! Manager doesn't know what his best team is but it doesn't really matter - the defence we have will leak goals for the rest of the season unless we get some new quality players in come January. I've no idea what to do regarding getting a racing bike, I've had mountain bikes for ages and last had a racer when in my teens and that wouldn't have been a particularly expensive one back then!! A chap I work with says I might not get on with the different posture when riding one so at the moment I'm not sure what to do!! Thanks for the long comment by the way it's all helpful by Xmas am going to make my mind up - am forty come New Year Eve so might treat myself to a sort of journeyman but decent enough sort of a racer - Decathlon have been mentioned to me before so I'll definitiely look into them. Thanks for the tip!

Anonymous said...

I started doing duathlons about 3 years ago on a ridgeback bullet hybrid, still use it as an errand bike and for towing my bob trailer, i wasn't sure about drops thats why i bought the decathlon, the hand positions are far more comfortable for me than straight bars (other than slow/around town etc) as there are numerous hand positions available. After the decathlon i bought a cannondale R800 which i used over the summer. I was looking at the SCR1.5? because of the 26mm tyres instead of 23mm on the decathlon & c'dale. (ridgebacks got 35mm) also the mudguuard clearance and slightly raised riding position. I'm not sure myself what to do as i don't have a mountain bike i had thought about a cyclo-cross bike, drop bars, 700 wheels, mudguard clearance, high bottom bracket, seems to be the best of both worlds? Might be worth a look for you? Then again i enjoy riding the ridgeback, it can also do most things with a change of tyres. Did the Derby faithful love Kinkladze like we did? My Great Dane's named after him. I'll leave you in peace now, enjoy your new found fitness!

Paul said...

Will look into the Cyclo-cross idea. I reckon what I'm going to have to do is go to a proper bike shop and try some out. I know I want a bike for road-work, I know I want something that's not going to do my back in (history of slipped discs!), I know I want something that'll cope with the Derbyshire hills and of late I'm coming more and more to the opinion that I want something with mudguards!!!

Kinki was great for Derby, unfortunately we got him at the back end of his career and he was really only good for a super-sub role. Bit of a one-of-a-kind he was. Think Sven will do the business for you this season and get you into champions league - in my opinion he was the most underrated manager England have had (course that might be because he was possibly the most over-paid!!). Take care, Paul

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam