Wednesday 31 October 2007

Quick post - Be thin to Avoid Cancer Article

Quick post before I go for my lunchtime walk - have just seen an article on the BBC: Be Thin to Avoid Cancer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7069914.stm

Sort of gutted - latest research apparently says that to avoid cancer you have to be as thin as possible without being overweight – which is okay I can accept that – they go on to say that means a bmi in the range 18.5 – 25 and preferably as close to low end as you can. Well am stuck at the low 26 point so am in a bit of a jam there. But I can take that am still aiming for 13st 11lbs even if not getting there very quickly.

However, I can’t take another of the recommendations which is “Thou shalt not eat bacon” (funnily enough the article says something like "these are not commandments" but that's how they'll be perceived.). Limit red meat as well – that’s also problematic for me. Am going to end up being very healhy if I’m not careful and I’m damned near killing myself with exercise as it is!!

On the up side it says “From a cancer perspective, all alcohol should be avoided, although researchers accepted drinking small amounts could have protective benefits for other diseases. “ Well I’m pretty much there on that score – have a drink now only if I’m on holiday which has masses of benefits for me.

Anyway, I reckon this could be another opportunity coming out of a problem. Have never liked eating white meat now I need to consider the risk of eating red meat and maybe give manky chicken a go!!!

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam