Sunday 29 June 2008

What's it gonna be?

After all that whinging ended up going out for a solid run, not as big as the recent ones but still a solid 10 miles and mainly up hills - see the gradient profile in image below.



Early Morning Whinging
Yesterday was a rest day so only did a bit of biking and a bit of golfing which was average at best. Today I should be doing a big run but I don't feel up for it so lord knows what am going to do. Am going to fetch papers in a bit. Apparently in New of Worlds there's a voucher for Tesco's that gets you five pounds off a £30 or more shop so I'm going to get a couple of papers and get £10 off if I do some shopping and Janette does the rest. Wedding anniversary today.

On positive side I've done a white loaf overnight that looks absolutely great. Picture below:

Kids and the boss said it was yummy so am notching this up as first real success with the breadmaker (don't really eat white bread myself - it's not in the plan!). Got the recipe off the internet after doing some more research found out that 1cup = 237ml so worked out an American recipe and it seemed to work great - the key difference being that there is less water than the recipes in the Morphy Richards book have.

Anyroad it was as follows:-

Water 3/4 cup - used 180ml'ish
Flour 2 cups - 480ml'ish
Salt - 1 teaspoon
Sugar - 1 tablespoon
Dried milk - 1 table spoon
Yeast - 1 6g sachet

On the Morphy Richards 88230 (i think - not the fastbake one) breadmaker it was setting 2 which is a 1.5lb white loaf, not the dark crust option.

I know breadmaking is supposed to be a science and people keep putting measure exact amounts but blimey, there's got to be a little margin for error, some sort of tolerance. Anyway it came out well.

Fetched the papers, went on slow but comfy. It chucked it down on me so I did the four miles as fast as I could on that bike. Think I average about 16mph which is faster than I aim for on the FCR1 !!!

Made good progress with the report am doing, confident of having something ready to go by end of monday. Report scrapes something like three and half months of weekly data and crushes it into granular info for Crystal Reports. When I get it all grouped properly in Crystal it'll summarise it all nicely and allow the viewer to drill down into ever increasing detail. I'll tell you why it's clever in a couple of days when I've got it nailed down and ticked off my list.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Missing a day won't do you any harm, you won't lose any fitness in that time. I'm currently running when it rains and cycling on the drier days. If i don't run for say 3 days or so, when i do run it's much more enjoyable than having run every day for a week or so. Having said that, I always have a better/faster run after a pint the night before?

Paul said...

Thanks for the comment, I ended up going out and doing a slowish ten miles almost exactly so not feeling so bad about it all now.
Will be testing this pint theory out in a week or so. Like the sound of your sports nutrition!
Paul

Anonymous said...

It really is just 1 pint, and i now limit myself to just that once a week, i look forward to it and have a quality ale around 5-6%. It's all natural stuff in there so it's got be good for you-that's what i'm telling myself and it's proven the next morning. Glad to read that you understand just how long a marathon is. I think the biggest mistake a lot of people make is say having done a 10K they then decide to do a marathon, and it really is quite a long way. People who drive mostly everywhere really under estimate miles, when you run/cycle/walk you have much more of an idea.

Paul said...

Couldn't agree more. Definitely gives you a better idea of what distance is. The thing I didn't realise was how little you appreciate the area you live in if all you do is see it out of the car window. The geography of a place is totally lost on 99% of folks.

I do like the sound of a single pint and the anticipation thereof. Something to savour rather than binge on. Bet I can't control it like that though!

Many thanks again
Paul

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam