Monday 1 September 2008

Anglesey Adventure


Been to Anglesey for a long weekend. Weather a bit hit and miss but good fun all the same. Our hosts were my brother Andrew and his missus Shona who were bloomin great - set up a whopping big tent for us and looked after us camping virgins the whole time. We went fishing three times including a session til 1am on Saturday night and caught precisely .... nothing! Never mind, the sea was like a mill pond which isn't ideal conditions for it but it was nice for swimming in (although a bit parky). I've got the kids wetsuits now so it's not so bad for them but by crikey for me and our Andrew it was mighty cold.

We stopped at a camp site near Church Bay which is a lovely spot (if a little light on fish). The site was in easy reach of the beach and Vic, the chap that runs it lent us his bait shovel so we could dig lugworm for bait, which was damned decent of him. I learnt the technique of digging lug as well this weekend - if I can draw a diagram and scan it in I will - it's quait clever so t'is (in a posh accent).

I've made this commitment at group that I'm going to be off the alcohol for all of September. Well after the session on Saturday I decided to stop the booze on Sunday. So we're on number two of the new D.A.F.T. (days alcohol free). Just another 29 to go!




Sunday morning I went a walk along the cliff top path and took this picture back towards the camp site. The big white house on the right of the beach is available for sale for just £795K if anyone is interested and just to the left of that is the campsite.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enoyed my island and home.
Although I no longer live there, it will always be my home and I pop back to stay with friends when I can.

We (my mother and I) bought a property on Ynys Mon for 7K in 1981 - imagine that?

Bull Bay is a nice place to fish and you may even see a seal or two.

Paul said...

Nice to hear from you again Louisa, I wish I'd gone sooner - I always thought it further to get to than the Llyn Peninsular which is where we used to go to so sort of dismissed it. Making up for it now though, been twice in three weeks now!! Thanks for the tip about Bull Bay will check it out some time next year no doubt!
All the best
Paul

Anonymous said...

The whole of the island is worth exploring.
Cemlyn near Cemaes bay is nice too.

It used to take hours to get there in the ‘olden days’ before the bypass was built.
I have seen all the changes but the island is pretty much unaffected apart from Holyhead and the odd new builds.

One day I will make it back home. :o)

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam