Sunday 26 October 2008

Week - Sunday 26th Oct - Saturday 1st Nov

Round up
Ran just under 40 miles this week which is okay. Put a pound on in weight again - since April I've put on about a pound a month, this is less okay. Golf was very hit and miss, didn't strike the ball well at all put putted rather nicely and kept us ticking over in the Autumn Texas Scramber, we came in at something like 59.7 in then end which wasn't bad in the conditions - windy and cold. Winter league has started, me and John should be playing in it, but missing next week due to a company do.

Saturday 1st Nov
First of November but about warmest day of week so far even if there is a bit of a frost. Been out and run up to town to get papers, three miles or so on a bit of a hangover from killing too much beer last night. Golf later.

Friday 31st Oct
Now have a re-kindled interest in Sea Angling I've been following with interest the use of kayaks for sea fishing kind of like a low-cost diy in-shore boat fishing thang. Not massively expensive but here's the benefits - it's exercise, it's fishing, it shouldn't be too expensive. Am following a blog from a guy in Hampshire called http://saltwateryakfisherman.blogspot.com/ and getting seriously tempted!! Have contacted local canoe club in Matlock to see when their next 'have-a-go' day is.

Running this week
Proud of meself for sticking with it this week - run damn near 36 miles according to Training Center software (it should be more as the GPS don't track through the tunnel at Ashbourne) but a shorter five miler tomorrow should make for a forty mile total which is probably as much as I've ever done in a week and shows the resilience building into my knee again which has shown no signs of pain this week. Good. Current mood: pleased.


Did six and half miles or so (remember the Edge's tunnel vision) this morning, ever so slow but not bothered because once again the weather was so cold. The new twist this morning was that not onlt was it frosty but from Mayfield until I turned back towards Ashbourne at Mappleton I was running into a bloomin freezin wind - you're not supposed to get frost and wind together are you? What's going on in the met office???



It's Janet's group later today. Am not really bothered what the weigh in says. I'm back on mission now so regardless of what today is there will be changes by Christmas that I can guarantee.

Thursday 30th Oct
Didn't get back from the office until gone ten last night so wasn't really up for running this morning. But that's no reason not to! So did a humble five miler this morning was okay and in office in plenty of time for 8:30 meeting. Did 25 mins of rower and some weights as well yesterday after me gym assessment - was okay nowt special - think the additional running is sapping me a bit - which has to be a good thing!



Wednesday 29th October - Reality Check
Been whinging on a lot that weight increase was due to increase in muscle - it's not. Been to gym for a re-assessment today and had a body composition test done. Lean weight is up very slightly from 75.3kg in June to 75.5kg today, but the real damage to the weight management is an increase in fat from 19.3kg to 22.3kg. Time to start food optimising again properly before it turns into a train wreck!






Wednesday 29th Oct
Did a 7 miler this morning. The computer say 6.86 cause it switched itself off shortly after I set off but from the point I noticed it was off to finishing was damn near 7 miles anyway (and ran through the Tunnel from the cycle hire centre so there's another third of a mile missing ther).. Slower pace, was dead cold but not unhappy all things considered - I think 10 minute miles would still you get a marathon done in under 5 hours so that'd be okay.


Tuesday 28th Oct

Kept on the chosen path - 6.5 miles this morning, pace not bad at 9:17/mile and bear in mind it was darned cold again. Cocked it up a bit eating wise as had a cinnamon twirl danish before I went out running but the missus' fault as she got them reduced at Sainsbobs last night and it'd have gone off if I'd not ate it, possibly.





Monday 27th Oct
Started as I meant to go on but weather got in the way. Got up at 5:30, ready to run at 5:45 stepped out and it was absolutely hammering down with rain. So waited and waited and got set off about 6:05 got just shy of six miles run at a not bad pace so not unhappy with it all. Had to keep stopping to change radio and stuff while out and was a bit miffed when some whipper-snapper over took me about half a mile from home. Bet he'd only just set out while I was five and a half miles in. Me Xmas present arrived as I was setting off to work so am going to be aying a look at that when I get home.

Gym for forty minutes at lunchtime. 25 mins on rower and the usual battery of weights. Okay stuff, bed early then out on road in morning. Some weight on again I reckon, a legacy of the cracking 10 cans of fosters for £4.99 at Somerfield.


Sunday 26th October.

I do like Sundays, started off with a big breakfast which was maybe a bit wrong but it's Sunday what the heck says I. Then did the new six mile daily run as recommended by Kathryn the marathon gal. Looks like 5miles on motionbased but that's because the Edge wasn't working until almost on Mayfield Road so it's not got the best part of a mile on it. Anyway, it was a good start to the day I felt.

Next up on a Sunday morning is Rugby practice for Lucy which involves me sitting on a camping chair with a big cup of black coffee, radio in the tabholes for an hour or two and when the weather's like it was it's a pleasure to be there. Lucy set up a lovely try and ran around for a good hour so it was good for Lu too.



Merry Christmas Mr Siddall
Now, am back into Sea fishing I've treated myself to a multiplier, it's an Okuma Magnetix LS-30 reel that's similiar to the ABU 7000 series sort of thing line wise. Lord knows how well it will work but I've always fancied one. £37 on Ebay it was. Not quite the one in the picture below as the one I have got has level wind but it should be the very thing for off the rocks loaded up with 25lb line.


Yesterday's golf - Lordy were we rubbish, it was an Autumn Greensome where you both drive off, pick the best one then play alternate shots in. Yesterday I was having difficulty hitting a cows ass with a shovel it was that bad. On the tenth I hit so far left it was lucky not to end up on the road into the club, when I checked the driver I'd been lucky to hit it at all the ball mark was so close to the heel! Rubbish, texas scramble next week so will have to improve, couldn't get a lot worse!!!

4 comments:

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

Intersting blog, and you've tranformed yourself these past 18 months, I take my hat off to you.

As for kayak fishing it's a great experience, whether enjoying the coastal scenery or just getting out for some exercise.. and there's always the chance of catching of some fish for the table!

Paul said...

Thanks Rob, how much do you reckon it costs to get started with Kayak Angling??

Rob Appleby-Goudberg said...

£500 for a yak then £300-400 for clothing and basic safety equipment. Though if you're patient you can get some lightly used bargains off Ebay.

Paul said...

Cheers Rob, thanks for the info.

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam