Monday 20 April 2009

Week from Sunday 19/04/2008 - Sat 25/04/09

Saturday 25/04
No (well much less) worries today. No exercise either for that matter, just a three hour drive later to that London. Why no worries all of a sudden. Let me tell you, been looking around internet and come across a training guide for marathon beginners (i.e. me) and according to it
http://www.fitfaqs.co.uk/_media/beginers%20marathon%20training%20guide.pdf
I've done much more than that so am well ready for tomorrows ultimate test. Wahey. Changed plans a bit and now going direct to the Excel to get me race number (45300) then to the hotel.

Friday 24/04
Less panicy today. Had a chat with Kathryn yesterday which was reassuring - was worried that I'd be last I reckon and shouldn't have been. Been a bad day so far though - lost a document that I worked four hours on yesterday - no trace of it - no autosave to recovery, no temp files, nada?

Hey ho, no running today or tomorrow so just did a steady four miles on mountain bike. Quite enjoyed that will be back into biking soon!

Thursday 23/04
Am in full panic and self doubt mode now. I know why, have allowed weight to go up to top end of 15st and it's irritating me that I could fail. I've done enough training that I shouldn't be worrying but this tapering the training down as the big day approaches it making me feel sluggish and I don't like it. Am not going to do any carbo-loading until Saturday.

On Sunday I'm going to do the business and then it's done. On Tuesday of next week I'm getting my act together again and getting the cycling going again. Been too much madness in 2009. Far too much.

Wednesday 22/04
Just a short ride out on bike this morning. Did a load of weights last night but no running.

Tuesday 21/04
Am absolutely cream crackered after Asia last night and getting up a 5:50 for a bit of a run. Asia were stunning last night, sound was tremendous although there were problems with John Wetton's Bass several times during the evening. Carl Palmer was fantastic and after a five minute or more drum solo at the end of Heat of the Moment had a standing ovation from everyone in the place - stunning - total showman, superb technician. If I had a slight criticism it might be that he's a bit over-enthusiastic at times which gets in the way of some of the dynamics but he's just a great player. As were Steve Howe, Wetton and Geoff Downes. Great night.

This morning was jiggered but did three and half miles up Ashbourne and back. Will do something else later. Been asking folks about this carbo loading and am not convinced about it at all - need to do some more research I reckon.

Monday 20/04
Kathryn said to run Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday in the lead up to the marathon. So just went for a walk up town and back this morning - rubbish that is. Will do some weights later but am dead excited to be going to see the mighty Asia. A band that were massive in the eighties and make the mistake of referencing the eighties in their biggest selling single Heat of the Moment :-
"And now you find yourself in 82
The disco hotspots hold no charm for you"

Main thing is it'll be Carl Palmer live in a smallish venue (Buxton Opera House) can't wait. A hundred years ago I played in a band that once played at Buxton Opera House - Bad Reputation. so even the venue has memories attached!!


Carl Palmer - what a kit, yay!


ASIA - with original lineup what could be better!!



Sunday 19/04
Mentioned in yesterday's post the run of 16 miles being the last big training run before the Marathon. Also got a donation to my justgiving page from an unknown reader Stuart Marshall - thanks ever so much Stuart - out of the blue, total surprise but what a pleasant one! Many thanks again.

4 comments:

Stuart Marshall said...

Hi Paul,
I came across your site from Frank Kinlan's when I was looking for some Garmin info. Very impressed with your progress and positive attitude. Whats going to be your next challenge after the marathon?

I'm cycling LE2JOG in June. I only started blogging about it a few weeks ago, on stuart-in-bahrain.blogspot.com. You live in a lovely part of the country for walking, running & cycling - mine's dry, dusty and has terrible drivers.

All the best for a good time on Sunday,
cheers
Stuart

Paul said...

Hi Stuart,

Thanks ever so much for your donation. After Sunday am going to get back into cycling again. Have had the FCR1 sat doing next to diddly squat for months and it's time to start logging some miles.

I must admit I've been looking at the Lands End to John O'Groats challenge as well it's just finding time to do it. Will follow your progress with great interest. Those Tandems always look a bit scary too me - I'd be worrying about the balance and what have you.
All the best
Paul

Stuart Marshall said...

Well done Paul, but next time you can beat 5hrs!

Paul said...

Thanks Stuart, but next time it could be even more painful - I got blisters on top of blisters I swear! Am thinking about it though.

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam