Monday 27 April 2009

Mission Accomplished - Impossible is Nothing



Job done - completed Flora 2009 London Marathon yesterday in 5:01:21 which was 1:22 seconds slower than I hoped for, bit like losing weight 15st 13.5lbs is so much better than 16 stone. But putting it in perspective I told folks I'd run it in about 5 hours so not far wrong at all really. Kept with Kathryn for much of the race but lost her at about fifteen miles I think and if I'm honest apart from the last mile and a half I can hardly remember any of the last ten miles. I know it was a grind, toes are blistered up, quads killing, I do stairs about as well as a dalek but still happy. What makes it so different from any other run is the high fives of the kids, the "come on Paul, nearly there" (which some youngster said at about six miles which was rather sweet, bless him) and the fact that it's either finish or die!!

I saw the timing at 25 miles and thought if I could do the last mile in 11 minutes then I'd get in under 5 hours but wasn't to be, the good thing was that even overweight as I am I was still running the last mile and a half in good pace when all the fit looking young uns were walking, ha ha! Well pleased at the minute when I get the official pics I'll be banging em on!

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam