Tuesday 22 June 2010

Urban Mover UM33x - urban myth - first review

The Urban Mover UM33x (snappily named dontcha think? me neither) is a battery assisted mountain bike style cycle that you can get on most company's cycle2work schemes (which is indeed, how I came to get one). It's good if you like a bit of assistance on hills but still requires a good degree of effort as it weighs lots (22.5kg) - I've not done the ride in to work that often as it's 22.5 miles each way but the bike did make it somewhat easier over the Derbyshire hills. As it was first trip I was keen to conserve battery power so pedalled unassisted for the most part which was probably the wrong thing to do as I still don't really know what the range is for it. It's quoted as being 20 miles+ (if you weigh the same as Kate Moss) but as I said, only used it for the bigger hills where it did a really good job, can't deny that.

I'm going to look at the stats tonight but I don't think it's saved me any time compared to the super light Giant FCR but we'll see - am not as fit as I should be so that's a factor but the bike is really heavy which makes it a pain when you're going uphill without assistance.

The 6 speed shimano gearset is also a bit of a limiting factor particularly downhills - as soon as you're past 20odd mph you cannot pedal quick enough but hey-ho it is, what it is. In a few months I'm going to swap the tyres for some sort of slicks, the tyres it comes with are good Kenda tyres but you can hear the resistance as you're pedalling along - winds me up that does same as when you're on a normal mountain bike I suppose.

That said, there's lots to be said for the Urban Mover, it has a clever battery releasse system, built in bike lock and a heavy chain is provided for even more security - mine is stored in the underground garage at work so am not going to carry the extra couple of pounds of weight for trips to work. I'm going to see what I can de to lessen the weight on it, might take the lights off for a couple of months.




The elongated frame makes space for the lithium battery below the seat-post, battery is said to be good for 20 odd miles, I used it sparingly on my 22.5 mile trip and there was plenty of juice left in it at the end . Note: also the integrated lock that jams the rear wheel and links to a heavy chain that is provided - it weighs a couple of pounds I reckon so you may or may not want to take it around with you.

Anyway this is first impressions only - I'm going to use the battery more on way back and I've just been told there's a high mode on it too so will probably give that a try going back.

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam