Monday 31 December 2007

Review of 2007 Post

Review of 2007 Post
My 40th year on the planet has been one of the best in many ways. Technically I think I’m fittest, thinnest, strongest I’ve ever been which has to be good. Enough waffle though here’s my good and bad list:-

Positives

Weight
Addressed my weight problem a bit. Since 19th February lost in excess of 4 stones and then some. Discovered that didn’t have to be massively overweight and that I can manage weight if I choose to. It took a question from Slimming World m.d. Caryl Richards to turn me round but if she hadn’t been as ace as she is I’d almost certainly be in excess of 19 stone coming up to 40 rather than under fifteen which I am at the minute. There’s still work to be done to be sure, but at least I now know it’s possible. Thank you muchly Slimming World and especially to all the folks in the group – they know who they are and they’re all bloody brilliant.

Tell you what I really like most about weight loss though –the extremes of comments from the “Didn’t recognise you”s to one on bonfire night up Ashbourne from one of Janette’s mates that was “F**kin ell, I know you said he’d lost weight”. Not dazzling repartee admittedly but the way she said it you know it was meant and it’s the kind of re-affirming stuff which I do need because I still look in the mirror and know there’s plenty of distance to go yet….

Exercise
Discovered exercise in a big way – never would have dreamed of running 10 miles back in February. Now it’s no big deal. Even enjoy gym to an extent. What more can you say. Still find it hard to get going some days. Don’t know why that is. Once am on road it’s no problem and I really enjoy it but getting going can be a problem?

Cycling
Discovered cycling big style this year! Since April have done over 3351 miles on various bikes and there’s some mileage not even accounted for on hols in Spain. Have a top road bike on order which if it ever arrives will account for more miles still next year!

Mallorca
Had best time in Mallorca. Was lucky to borrow a pair of bikes from Margaret while in Spain and it was just the most fun have had there. Saw beautiful scenery at my own pace – Calvia, Santa Ponsa, Illetes, all over the shop and even though it was August it wasn’t too hot to get out there. Great fun, highly recommended.

Not Smoking
Stopped Smoking. Wow! – not as hard as I expected. Have almost stopped moaning about it. Anyway it’s been almost six months since I stopped and am almost over thinking about it!!! Just a quick word on the stopping smoking I used the Nicquitin Patches for about five weeks and it worked for me, especially coupled with the government making it really hard work to be able to smoke in any degree of comfort.

Derby County in Premier League
Derby County – rocked briefly. Against all odds we got promoted and was at Wembley to see Billy Davies’ black and white army see off a better equipped West Brom side.

Bit of the old Magic
Played drums a couple of times in a hastily put together combo with two of the management team at work Alan (Information Systems) and David (Financial Director) and had a blast. We did a bit of a stint on the last day with four songs in the Conference Room at work and the drum sound was absolutely magic – tons of natural bottom end. Loved it.


Negatives
Not a great deal but there be some:

Lack of Reading
I don’t know whether I can blame the increase in exercise for it entirely but am just not getting any reading done. Have started loads of books but not really finished many this year. Weird. I used to do a book a week?

Derby County in Premier League
We can’t hack it, we got here on a wing and a prayer and we’re just don’t have the strength in depth. Am hoping we don’t spend tons in January and regret it. We will be one of the strongest sides in the Championship next season with an excellent chance of bouncing straight back up.


Things I like in 2007

My Chemical Romance – although have discovered it a bit late, the Black Parade album has been a staple on the Ipod this year – just an all round brilliant record (in my view).

Food Optimising – Slimming World eating plan that’s added years to my life expectancy – if you want to lose/maintain weight and eat loads do Food Optimising.

Heaven and Hell – Sabbath with Dio, wish I’d gone to see them but have had them in Ipod, particularly when was in Spain and most enjoyable it’s been to hear them again.

Russell Brand – Russ, Matt and Mr G’s podcasts have got me through many a happy gym session. Highly recommended if a wee bit quirky. Pin pin.

Ipod Shuffle – has been a top tool and has helped no end on long runs and rides.

Garmin Edge – has made keeping my cycle stats so much easier. Great piece of kit that I’m using about 30% of it’s functionality!

Things I don’t like

Governments taking away people’s civil liberties. Yes, you Mr Brown.

Hills, they’re rubbish apart from coming down the other side of em which is okay.

The wind and rain – severely gets in the way of outdoor exercise.
The demon booze – somewhere on me there’s a little label that says “Instant Idiot – Just add alcohol” – am going to cut out the alcohol except on special occasions next year so the label won’t apply.

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam