Wednesday 12 December 2007

Cold = Slacking

Too Cold To Bike!!! Like bloomin Siberia!
Didn't go out last night - was too cold so just did pressups and ab crunching cycle exercise thing I found in October. Couldn't get up this morning - must be backlash from yesterdays run so didn't get on road til nearly 6:15. Consequently just a very poor 7.5 miles on the cycle clock today. But it's so darned cold, all I could think about was getting home and into a hot shower. Normally I have my best ideas when on the road but this morning it was way too cold, couldn't feel my fingertips and that's with gloves on! Whether that's a sign of impending 40 year-old-ness or perhaps a symptom of the type 2 diabetes that I think I'm out of I don't know. Have a check up at the next diabetic clinic in February anyway, it's not like I'm ignoring it totally and I don't have the same unquenchable thirst I once had when I had the high blood sugar reading so we'll see what will be. Am planning on breaking 10 miles running tomorrow, have set alarm clock for 4:45 and will be on the road at 5am so can almost guarantee achieving it as long as I don't ignore the alarm clock like this morning.

Gym Update
Did a solid 45 minute gym session, upped the pace again on the treadmill 25 minutes at 11.2km/h for 4.88km, 2500 metres again on the rower in 10:42 and some weights before setting off for home. Quite pleased - more improvements. Am thinking that if the weather is going to be cold like this for a few weeks I'm going to do more inside in the gym where it's nice and warm!!

Thanks to Sven for the comments today. All good feedback always welcome!

Sustrans Wins
Chuffed to bits for Sustrans winning the 50 million people's lottery funding. A great cause to support and just goes to show that people power can get it right! Sustrans as mentioned previously support Sustainable Transport Initiatives have a look at their website for more info.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suffer from poor circulation which for obvious reasons affects my hands and feet. Yesterday morning on my commute it was down to -2.6, not sure what the wind chill effect is with a speed of 20+mph. It took at least 20 mins of hard(ish) riding before i could feel my fingers and i had a pair of winter (supposedly good for -3) gloves with a pair of polartec liners aswell. When it gets really cold i wear neoprene booties over my shoes and windproof mitts over my gloves until i warm up. Get some good wicking base layers and a windproof jacket/trousers and you should be good to ride in any temps. I only miss a day if there's a lot of black ice. Although i'm considering studded tyres on the Ridgeback hybrid if it gets that bad. You must have some natural ability to be able to get to the 10 mile stage in such short a time. Make sure you are using the correct shoes before you get dodgy knees.

Paul said...

Hi Sven,
Many thanks for your comments I've got some good shoes and since losing the weight have had no knee problems at all. When I was 18+ stone a couple of years back I would be hobbling about for days after each game. I think it was more the result of the extra weight on my knees than the exercise though!!!

I've seen those neoprene overshoes the only problem is I've started using the SPD shoe and pedals but I'm thinking about the mitts for an extra layer on my hands though.

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to get in touch it's much appreciated.
Paul

Paul said...

In last post it says after each game - I should have mentioned after each game of football. Used to play for an hour after work with the lads but stopped when I couldn't walk for a day or two afterwards!!!

Anonymous said...

I use clipless peddles. Most neoprene booties have cut outs for spd's. You can also get a neoprene toe cover, good for keeping the chill off your toes. But the booties are obviously much better when it's raining. The neoprene isn't waterproof, I think you generate heat which heats the water and the neoprene is a good insulator so you're feet stay warm, something like that, anyway they work.

Paul said...

Oh, didn't realise that you could wear them over the top of SPDs so will definitely get some!! Thanks again for getting in touch, some really useful advice there!!

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam