Saturday 8 December 2007

Responsibilities of the press?

A couple of weeks ago Slimming World was in my view defamed by an ex-Consultant who took Slimming World to a tribunal saying the Company had been sizeist and ageist essentially. The Mail, Telegraph and metro picked up the story and printed it without doing any real amount of research. They then went to press with the article saying the 'tribunal continues' when as far as I can tell it had already been thrown out.

It's great to see that the matter is being reported factually now:
http://icberkshire.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0200berkshireheadlines/tm_headline=slimming-world-tribunal-quashed&method=full&objectid=20179018&siteid=50102-name_page.html#story_continue

To say the company is sizeist when it's been employing me for nearly 17 years and I know I was seriously obese for 16+ of those years and to say the company is ageist when there are Consultants in their 70s (I believe that's right apologies if the two I'm thinking of aren't - not like I'm going to reveal their names anyway - a gentleman would never do that) is beyond preposterous. The company doesn't prescribe staff to be of a certain age or weight, never has. Slimmers don't care who is running a group as long as they get results and the support they need - size, age, colour, creed, height, weight should never come into it. And the fact is Slimming World's food optimising gets results and our Consultants and members give each other the support they need. If you don't believe it, try it, it worked for me...

Anyway the case was thrown out, no doubt it won't appear in the press so it's good to see it appearing on the Web.

No comments:

NOTE: I don't do anonymous comments - too much spam